Thu 24 Jm2 1435 - 24 April 2014
10122

Her husband has left Islam; is she entitled to maintenance during the ‘iddah period?

I got married to a person who had been a Christian, then he claimed to be a Muslim and started to pray. I lived with him for a while, then he left Islam and stopped praying. I had the marriage declared null and void, and I have started my ‘iddah. Am I entitled to maintenance from him during the ‘iddah?

Yes, you are entitled to maintenance during the ‘iddah, because the separation happened because of the husband, since he left Islam. Imaam al-Shaafa'i (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Kitaab al-Umm (vol. 6), “If he – i.e., the husband – becomes an apostate (leaves Islam), he should still spend on her (maintenance) – i.e., the wife – during her ‘iddah, because she is not finally divorced until the ‘iddah is over.”

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid