Fri 25 Jm2 1435 - 25 April 2014
109282

The one who is doing ‘umrah does not have to do tawaaf al-wadaa’ (farewell tawaaf)

I used to tell those who were doing ‘umrah that they had to do the farewell tawaaf when leaving Makkah, but I have heard that there is no farewell tawaaf for ‘Umrah. I hope that you can explain more about this topic.

The farewell tawaaf is required of the one who has come on Hajj to the House of Allaah, when he wants to leave, because Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The people were commanded that the last thing they do should do is to circumambulate the House, but an exception was made for menstruating women.” Saheeh – agreed upon. And he said: The people used to leave from wherever they were, but the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No one of you should depart until the last thing he has done is to circumambulate the House.” Narrated by Ahmad and Muslim. Based on the context, this is a command to the pilgrims, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said it at the end of Hajj, directing the pilgrims. 

As for the one who is doing ‘Umrah, he does not have to do the Farewell tawaaf, but it is Sunnah for him to circumambulate the Ka’bah when he wants to leave, because there is no evidence that it is obligatory, and because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not do the farewell tawaaf when he left Makkah after doing the fulfilled ‘umrah (‘umrat al-qada’) as far as we know from his Sunnah. 

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions. End quote. 

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas 

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood. 

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Ifta (11/228, 336).