Sun 20 Jm2 1435 - 20 April 2014
109294

He is from al-Qunfudhah and is studying in Jeddah; from where should he enter ihram for ‘umrah?

I am a student studying in the city of Jeddah but I live in al-Qunfudhah which is 350 km away from Jeddah. On Thursday and Friday I go to al- Qunfudhah. My question is: is it Sunnah during my stay in al- Qunfudhah to shorten my prayers or what? If I want to do ‘Umrah from Jeddah, is that permissible?.

If you set out for ‘Umrah from Jeddah, then enter ihram from Jeddah; if you decide to do it when you are in al-Qunfudhah, then you should enter ihram from the miqaat of the people of Yemen (al-Sa’diyyah). You do not have the right to shorten the prayers in your city, because it is your homeland. Rather you have to offer the prayers in full. Similarly, in Jeddah you have to offer the prayers in full, according to the majority of scholars, because you intend to stay there for more than four days. 

And Allah is the source of strength; may Allah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and Companions. End quote. 

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas. 

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood 

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 11/136