Thu 24 Jm2 1435 - 24 April 2014
1190

Ruling on shaving another man’s beard

I am a committed Muslim and I have a beard. I own a barber shop for men. This is my profession, and it means that I shave my customers’ beards and use dryers to style their hair. What is the Islamic ruling on this?

It is forbidden for a Muslim to shave his own beard because of the saheeh reports that indicate that this is forbidden. It is also forbidden for another man to shave a person’s beard, because this entails cooperating in sin, which is forbidden in the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “… do not help one another in sin and transgression…” [al-Maa’idah 5:2]

It is permissible for you to comb and style men’s hair, and apply oils and perfume to it, but it is not permissible for you to do this for women, except for those who are your mahrams (close relatives to whom marriage is forbidden).

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/145