Our advice to this young man who is heading in the right direction, in sha Allah, is:
1. He should always ask Allah to keep him steadfast and on the right path.
2. He should read the Qur'aan a great deal and ponder its meanings, because this Qur'aan has a great impact on the heart, if one reads it carefully and ponders it.
3. He should strive to do acts of worship regularly, without getting bored or feeling lazy, because the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) sought refuge with Allah from incapability and laziness.
4. He should strive to keep company with good people and avoid keeping company with bad people.
5. He should advise himself when his nafs is influencing him and should say to himself: The distance is far and the path is long, let him advise himself to be steadfast, because Paradise is surrounded with difficult things and Hell is surrounded with whims and desires.
6. He should keep away from bad friends, even if they were his friends before, because bad friends will influence him. Hence the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “The likeness of a bad companion is that of the one who works the bellows: either he will burn your clothes or you will notice a bad smell from him.” End quote.
Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him)