Thu 17 Jm2 1435 - 17 April 2014
2133

Praying Zuhr in congregation for those who missed Salaat al-Jumu’ah

In the name of Allah, Most Kind Most Merciful
All praise is for Allah, peace and blessings be upon Muhammed (saalahu alayhi wa sallam)
to proceed :
My question is this :
We hold jummah (Friday) prayer at university. A group of brothers came late and they missed the prayer. They decided to pray Dhur as the jummah prayer has been done. The question was do they dhur together in Jammah (congregation) or do they pray Dhur individually. Please advise me with proofs.
Jazakallah Khair
Wasalam

You should urge the brothers around you to attend Salaat al-Jumu’ah (Friday prayers) at the right time, because Jumu’ah is of great importance. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Let people stop neglecting to attend Jumu’ah, or else Allaah will seal their hearts, then they will be among the heedless.” (Reported by Muslim, 1432)

He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever neglects Salaat al-Jumu’ah three times with no good reason, Allaah will put a seal on his heart.” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 460; he said: this is a hasan hadeeth).

As for the people who missed Jumu’ah, they should pray Zuhr, and there is nothing wrong with praying it in jamaa’ah (congregation). And Allaah knows best.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid