Fri 18 Jm2 1435 - 18 April 2014
21402

Is the Black Stone from heaven?

It was narrated that ‘Umar kissed the Black Stone and said: “I know that you are only a stone and that you can neither bring benefit nor cause harm. Had I not seen the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) kiss you, I would not have kissed you.” Did the Black Stone come down from heaven? Or is it just a stone like any other stone? What is the significance of this stone being put in this place? Some people think that it is the qiblah faced by the Muslims when they pray – Allaah forbid.

The Black Stone was singled out by Allaah, as He prescribed for us to kiss it and touch it, and He willed that it should be set in the corner of the Ka’bah which we face when we pray. He prescribed that the people who do tawaaf should touch it and kiss it if they are able to, and if they cannot do that then they should point to it when they come in line with it, and say “Allaahu akbar.” According to a hadeeth narrated by al-Tirmidhi and others, it came down from Paradise, but there is some weakness in the isnaad of this report… (the hadeeth was narrated by al-Tirmidhi and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 695). 

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions. 

Al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Iftaa’ – Fataawa al-Lajnah, 11/228.