Mon 21 Jm2 1435 - 21 April 2014
2375

When should one pray two rak’ahs with one’s bride?

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh
My question is regarding praying nawafil between Asr and Maghrib. I am getting married this Wednesday, insha' Allah.
The marriage ceremony (i.e. writing the contract) will be right after Asr prayer. I wanted to know if it is permissible to pray the two Sunnah rakat that are to be prayed upon marriage. Does the specific order of praying these two rakat over ride the general ruling of no nawafil between Asr and Maghrib ? Also, is this the case in general (i.e. specific over rides general) ?
P.S. Please answer quickly, I have two days to find out !

What was reported in the hadeeth of Ibn Mas’ood is that the groom should lead his bride in praying two rak’ahs when he goes in unto her, not immediately after the marriage contract. What you should do is pray two rak’ahs for istikhaarah and pray the du’aa’ of istikhaarah before you do the marriage contract. According to the most correct opinion among the scholars, prayers for which there is a reason are allowed at times when other naafil prayers are prohibited. See question # (854).

And Allaah knows best.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid