Thu 24 Jm2 1435 - 24 April 2014
42804

Fasting is not sufficient when one is able to feed poor persons for kafaarat al-yameen

I had to offer kafaarat al-yameen (expiation for breaking an oath), so I fasted for three days even though I was able to feed ten poor persons. Is what I did correct?.

It is not sufficient to fast when one is able to feed or clothe poor persons or free a slave, because Allaah stated that one should fast only if one is unable to feed or clothe poor persons or free a slave. He says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“Allaah will not punish you for what is unintentional in your oaths, but He will punish you for your deliberate oaths; for its expiation (a deliberate oath) feed ten Masaakeen (poor persons), on a scale of the average of that with which you feed your own families, or clothe them or manumit a slave. But whosoever cannot afford (that), then he should fast for three days. That is the expiation for the oaths when you have sworn”

[al-Maa’idah 5:89] 

From Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah Li’l-Ifta’, 23/13.