Thu 24 Jm2 1435 - 24 April 2014
65746

There is no Sunnah prayer after the fard prayer of Fajr

Is there any Sunnah prayer after Fajr prayer?.

There is no Sunnah prayer after Fajr prayer. 

Before Fajr there is a Sunnah raatibah prayer (established Sunnah) which is two rak’ahs. This is the most firmly established of the Sunnah raatibah prayers. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never failed to offer this prayer, whether he was at home or travelling. It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not adhere more firmly to any naafil prayer than the two rak’ahs of Fajr.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1163; Muslim, 724. 

Concerning the virtue of this prayer, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The two rak'ahs of Fajr are better than this world and everything in it.” Narrated by Muslim, 725. 

It is Sunnah to recite in these two rak'ahs al-Kaafiroon and al-Ikhlaas, because Muslim (726) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) recited in the two rak’ahs of Fajr: “Qul yaa ayyuhal-kaafiroon” and “Qul huwa Allaahu Ahad.” 

The one who misses the Sunnah prayer before Fajr may offer it after Fajr prayer. 

The evidence for that is the report narrated by al-Tirmidhi (422) and Abu Dawood (1267) from Qays ibn ‘Amr who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came out when the iqaamah for prayer had been given, and I prayed Fajr with him, then the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) finished and found me praying. He said, “Take it easy, O Qays. Two prayers together?” I said, “O Messenger of Allaah, I did not pray the two rak’ahs before Fajr.” He said, “No, then.” According to the version narrated by Abu Dawood, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) remained silent. This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi

Al-Khattaabi said: 

This shows that the one who misses the two rak'ahs before the obligatory prayer may offer them after the prayer, before the sun rises.  

End quote from ‘Awn al-Ma’bood

It says in Tuhfat al-Ahwadhi

“Two prayers together?” is a question in the sense of denouncing, i.e., two obligatory prayers at the time of one obligatory prayer? Because there is no naafil prayer after Fajr. 

“No, then.” 

Note: 

It should be noted that the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “No, then,” mean: there is nothing wrong with you offering these two rak'ahs at that time. This is indicated by the report of Abu Dawood, where it says, “and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) remained silent.” And ‘Ata’ ibn Abi Rabaah narrated that a man of the Ansaar said: “He did not say anything to him.” Al-‘Iraaqi said: its isnaad is hasan. And a version narrated by Ibn Abi Shaybah says: “He did not tell him to do that or tell him not to do it.” And a version narrated by Ibn Hibbaan says: “he did not denounce him.” The reports explain one another. 

End quote.