Wed 23 Jm2 1435 - 23 April 2014
9384

Is it permissible to make wives partners in commercial companies?

my husband and his brothers started a partnership business in which they have made their wives as partners of the firm. As it is a family firm now my sister in law says that though the buiness is on the wives names the wives have no right over the business because there is no partnership business between the husband and wife in Islam.is tis true?

What your husband’s sister said has no basis in sharee’ah. There is no reason why a wife – or a sister, mother or daughter – should not be a business partner of her husband.

The basic principle concerning business dealings is that they are permissible, and the basic principle concerning partnerships is that they are open to all. Whoever says that they are not allowed has to produce evidence to prove it. Whether the wife enters the partnership by means of paying a certain amount of money or she is given some of the shares in the company for free, it is OK for her to be a partner.

And Allaah knows best.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid