Thu 24 Jm2 1435 - 24 April 2014
95887

Can he open a shop to repair audio-visual equipment?

I am a young man and have graduated from the technical institute, specializing in electronics. My question is: is it permissible for me to open a shop to repair electronic equipment, and audio-visual equipment?.

This audio-visual equipment may be used for permissible purposes or it may be used for haraam purposes, such as looking at pictures of naked women or listening to music etc. 

Hence it is not permissible to repair it for one whom it is known or thought most likely that he will use it for haraam purposes, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“do not help one another in sin and transgression. And fear Allaah. Verily, Allaah is Severe in punishment”

[al-Maa’idah 5:2]  

The Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas was asked: I work as an electronic engineer and part of my work is fixing radios, TVs, videos and other such equipment. I hope that you can advise me about continuing in this work, knowing that giving up this work will cause me to miss out on a great deal of experience and my profession for which I have studied all my life, and I will be affected by giving it up. 

They replied: The shar’i evidence from the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that the Muslim must seek to earn a living from good (halaal) sources, so you should look for a job where the income from it is good. As for earning a living by doing the work that you mentioned, this is not good, because this equipment is usually used for haraam purposes. End quote. 

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (14/420). 

Based on this, if you can choose the people for whom you will repair this equipment, so that this will not be helping them in anything haraam, there is nothing wrong with that. But if you will be repairing equipment for everyone who comes to you, that is not permissible because most people use these machines for haraam purposes. 

You should look for another job in which you will be safe from falling into haraam or doubtful areas. The one who gives up something for the sake of Allaah, Allaah will compensate him with something better than it. Provision is already decreed, so do not let the fact that it is slow in coming make you seek it by disobeying Allaah, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Holy Spirit (i.e. Jibreel) inspired to me that no soul will die until it has been given its provision in full. Fear Allaah and be moderate in seeking a living, and do not let the fact that it is slow in coming make you seek it by disobeying Allaah, for that which is with Allaah cannot be attained except by obeying Him.”  Narrated by Abu Na’eem in al-Hilyah; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’ no. 2085. 

And Allaah knows best.