Rulings of Dreams

Rulings of Dreams

Frightening dreams. Dreams. It is not possible to see the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) (in a dream) in anything but his true form. He claims that he circumambulates the Ka’bah in his dreams and tells them about the future. She saw in a dream that she was with the one whom she loves, but her parents are refusing. Is seeing Allaah is a dream possible?. Lies about a dream falsely attributed to the Watchman of the Prophet’s tomb . Seeing Allaah in a dream . Can a sleeper be aware that he is dreaming? . He wants to see the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a dream. Seeing the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a dream. She sees disturbing dreams, and she imagined having intercourse in her sleep. He dreams about a dead relative chasing him . Dreams and dream interpretation. The physical characteristics of the Prophet(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and seeing him in a dream.

Frightening dreams
I am a young sister who got married recently to a man with very good character and deen, masha-Allah. Since I have got married, I frequently have very frightening dreams about my husband and others I love.
Before marriage I never had frightening dreams as I always make my adhkaar at bedtime. Sometimes I see that there are jinns inside other people and I am trying to fight them by reciting ayatul-Kursi, but they are stopping me from doing so. I cannot sleep at night and wake up several times. One good sister suggested to me that it may be the evil eye brought on by others who are jealous. If that is the case, then please could you guide me as to what I can do about this problem as it is very distressing.
May Allah Reward you greatly for your advice.

Firstly: 

Undoubtedly the frightening dreams that this sister sees are from the accursed Shaytaan who is trying his hardest to prevent people from following the true religion and keep them away from their Lord Whom they worship, and he wants to cause grief to the believers. But his plots against the pious close friends of Allaah are weak and insignificant, especially against those who fortify themselves with ruqya as prescribed in sharee’ah day and night. 

Secondly: 

You should note that the best way in which the Muslim can protect himself against the Shaytaan is to remember Allaah. According to the hadeeth narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2863), Allaah commanded Yahya ibn Zakariyya (peace be upon him) to tell the Children of Israel to do five things, including the following: 

“I command you to remember Allaah, for the likeness of that is that of a man who enemy comes after him, until he comes to a strong fortress where he protects himself from him. Similarly, a person cannot protect himself against the Shaytaan except by remembering Allaah.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmdihi

If the Muslim fears Allaah in all his affairs, and adheres to that which Allaah has commanded and avoids that which He has forbidden, and he constantly remembers Allaah, praying and fasting and other kinds of worship, and he fortifies himself by reading Qur’aan night and day, out loud and silently, and he regularly recites the wirds and dhikrs prescribed in Islam for the morning and evening, and when eating, drinking, getting dressed and going to sleep, then the Shaytaan will go away from him, blameworthy and defeated, and will have no power to do anything to him. How can it be otherwise when Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“Those who believe, fight in the Cause of Allaah, and those who disbelieve, fight in the cause of Taaghoot (Satan).  So fight you against the friends of Shaytaan (Satan); ever feeble indeed is the plot of Shaytaan (Satan)”

[al-Nisa’ 4:76]

The Shaytaan only comes close to those who are far away from their religion and Qur’aan. The Shaytaan may try to divert the righteous from the straight path, in order to ruin their lives and religious commitment and worldly interests. But protection may be sought against him in the manner described above. You can also refer to the books of dhikr such as al-Adhkaar by al-Nawawi; ‘Aml al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah by al-Nasaa’i; ‘Aml al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah by Ibn al-Sunni; and other books of dhikr that deal with this topic, or books of Sunan in general. If you do that we hope that your situation will improve and you will find peace of mind, and Allaah will change your situation to a better one. 

Among the dhikrs with which we advise you to recite regularly are the following: 

1 – Adhkaar for morning and evening. 

(a)     Reciting every evening the words, “A’oodhu bi kalimaat Allaah il-taammah min sharri ma khalaqa (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allaah from the evil of that which He has created).” 

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: A man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, “O Messenger of Allaah, I am suffering because of a scorpion that stung me yesterday.” He said, “If you had said in the evening, A’oodhu bi kalimaat Allaah il-taammah min sharri ma khalaqa (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allaah from the evil of that which He has created),’ it would not have harmed you. 

Narrated by Muslim. 

Indeed, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) encouraged us to say that in every place where we stop (when travelling). 

It was narrated that Khawlah bint Hakeem al-Salamiyyah said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Whoever makes a stop in some place, then says, ‘A’oodhu bi kalimaat Allaah il-taammah min sharri ma khalaqa (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allaah from the evil of that which He has created),’ nothing will harm him until he moves on from that place.” 

Narrated by Muslim, 2708. 

(b)    It was narrated that ‘Uthmaan ibn ‘Affaan (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no person who says in the morning and evening of each day, ‘Bismillaah illaahi laa yadurru ma’a ismihi shay’un fi’l-ard wa la fi’l-sama’ wa huwa al-samee’ ul-‘aleem (In the name of Allaah with Whose name nothing is harmed on earth nor in heaven, and He is the All-Hearing, All-Knowing)’ three times, but nothing will harm him.”  

Narrated and classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi, 3388; also narrated by Ibn Maajah, 3869. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah

(c)    Reciting Aayat al-Kursiy and al-Mu’awwidhaat before going to sleep. 

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) put me in charge of guarding the zakaah of Ramadaan. Someone came to me and started grabbing handfuls of the food. I took hold of him and said, ‘I will take you to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).’ He said, ‘I will teach you some words by means of which Allaah will benefit you.’ I said, ‘What are they?’ He said, ‘When you go to your bed, recite this aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Allaah! Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyoom (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists)…” [al-Baqarah 2:255] – until he completed the aayah. Then Allaah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you and no shaytaan (devil) will come near you until morning.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) asked me, ‘What did your prisoner do last night?’ I said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, he taught me something, and claimed that Allaah would benefit me by it.’ He said, ‘What was it?’ I said, ‘He taught me to recite Aayat al-Kursiy when I go to bed, and said that no shaytaan would come near me until morning, and that Allaah would appoint a guard for me who would stay with me.’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘He told you the truth, although he is an inveterate liar. That was the Shaytaan.’”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3101; Muslim, 505. 

There are many such dhikrs; we do not have room to mention them all here. 

Thirdly: 

With regard to the hasad (envy) and the evil eye of which you speak, it may be that this harm has come to you through hasad. Protection against that is to be sought by reciting the dhikrs prescribed in sharee’ah.

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them both) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to seek refuge with Allaah for al-Hasan and al-Husayn. He said: ‘Your father [i.e., Ibraaheem] used to seek refuge with Allaah for Ismaa’eel and Ishaaq with these words: A’oodhu bi kalimaat Allaah al-taammah min kulli shaytaanin wa haammah wa min kulli ‘aynin laammah (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allaah, from every devil and every poisonous reptile, and from every bad eye).’”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3191. 

With regard to the remedy:

It was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The evil eye is real, and if anything were to overtake the divine decree (al-qadar) it would be the evil eye. When you are asked to take a bath (to provide a cure) from the influence of the evil eye, you should take a bath

Narrated by Muslim, 2188.

If you know that the evil eye has been put on you by a certain person, then you should ask him to do ghusl and wudoo’, then you should pour the water of his ghusl or wudoo’ over yourself. The way in which this should be done has been explained by Ibn al-Qayyim, who said:

In Sunan Abi Dawood it is narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The ‘aa’in (the one who put the evil eye on another) would be ordered to do wudoo’, then the ma’een (the one on whom he had put the evil eye) would do ghusl with that water. 

In al-Saheehayn it is narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded me or he commanded us to recite ruqyah for protection against the evil eye.”

Al-Tirmidhi narrated from Sufyaan ibn ‘Uyayanah from ‘Amr ibn Dinaar from ‘Urwah ibn ‘Aamir from ‘Ubayd ibn Rafaa’ah al-Sarqi that Asma’ bint Umays said: “O Messenger of Allaah, the children of Ja’far have been afflicted by the evil eye, shall we recite ruqyah for them?” He said, “Yes, for if anything were to overtake the divine decree it would be the evil eye.” Al-Tirmidhi said: a saheeh hasan hadeeth. Then he mentioned the hadeeth which described how ‘Aamir ibn Rabee’ah afflicted Sahl ibn Hunayf with his eye, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded ‘Aamir to do ghusl.

So he washed his face, hands, forearms, knees and the sides of his feet, and inside his izaar (lower garment) in the vessel. Then that water was poured over him, and a man poured it over his head and back from behind. He did that to him, then Sahl got up and joined the people.

Al-Tibb al-Nabawi, p. 127-129.

For more information on the evil eye and the ways of dealing with it and protecting oneself against it, please see question no. 20954

And Allaah knows best.

Dreams
I hope you could help me out with this confusion,I had prayed Istikhara namaz 5 days back.I asked ALLAH if I would be able to convert a non-muslim to a muslim and guide him to the wright path for my love for islam and ALLAH,I am very obsessed with this because it's my dying wish that i should be able to do this atleast once in my lifetime,because i love ALLAH dearly and with all my heart.I had prayed istikhra namaz asking ALLAH if I will ever be successful in executing this dream into reality,I also asked if he would guide me.
but today morning i had a dream were i saw me and my cousin spending our holidays in a hotel and (lahaulwalaquat)I found both me and my cousin holding a green color chamapangne bottle and that we were both tempted to taste it as so we do(lahaulwalaquwat).and after a while later i see my elder brother coming in and both me and my cousin get terrified and scared.Then i see my elder sister in a black salwar and that a brown dog is chasing her.
Imam saheb when I was dreaming I was getting really scared and I also feared that i commited a sin and then when i opened my eyes and got up from the left position(the position in which I was sleeping),i felt relieved that it was just a dream.
It was 5.30am at that time and i had to rush for fazr prayers,but as i was praying i felt really happy and had this beautiful feeling inside of me,that was convincing me that ALLAH is with me and listening to my heart.I never had such a lovely feeling,and I feel happy even now as I'm writing to you.
I don't know what this means,shuld i believe in the dream or should I listen to my heart.

Note that the things people see in their sleep may come under one of two categories : 

1 – Dreams/visions 

2 – Confused dreams 

Confused dreams in turn are divided into two categories: 

1 – The Shaytaan’s attempts to frighten 

2 – The workings of the subconscious. 

So it may be said that what people see in their dreams may be divided into three categories: 

1-     Visions or dreams that come from Allaah.

2-     Attempts by the Shaytaan to frighten us

3-     The workings of the subconscious. 

These categories are indicated by the hadeeth narrated in Saheeh Muslim (no. 2263) from Abu Hurayrah, which says that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the time (of the Day of Resurrection) draws near, a believer's dream will hardly be false. And the truest vision will be of one who is himself the most truthful in speech, for the vision of a Muslim is the forty-fifth part of Prophecy, and dreams are of three types:

the good dream which is glad tidings from Allah;

the bad dream which causes distress, which is from the Shaytaan;

and the dream which represents what a person is thinking about.

So if any one of you sees a dream which he does not like he should get up and pray, and not tell people about his dream…” 

It was narrated from ‘Awf ibn Maalik that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Dreams are of three types: some are terrifying things from the Shaytaan, aimed at causing grief to the son of Adam; some are things that a person is concerned with when he is awake, so he sees them in his dreams; and some are a part of the forty-six parts of Prophecy.”

(Saheeh Sunan Ibn Maajah, 3155) 

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Dreams are of three types: glad tidings from Allaah, what is on a person’s mind, and frightening dreams from the Shaytaan. If any of you sees a dream that he likes, let him tell others of it if he wishes, but if he sees something that he dislikes, he should not tell anyone about it, and he should get up and pray.”

(Saheeh Sunan Ibn Maajah, 3154) 

There follow a number of saheeh ahaadeeth which describe how to deal with what one sees in one’s dream. 

1 – It was narrated that Abu Qutaadah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Good dreams come from Allaah and bad dreams come from the Shaytaan. If anyone sees a bad dream that scares him, let him spit drily to his left and seek refuge with Allaah from its evil, then it will not harm him.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3292) 

2 – It was narrated that Abu Salamah said: I used to see such terrible dreams that that I began to shake and have a fever, but did not cover myself with a cloak until I met Abu Qutaadah, and I mentioned that to him. He said, “I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say,  ‘Good dreams come from Allaah and bad dreams come from the Shaytaan. If anyone sees a bad dream that he dislikes, let him spit drily to his left three times and seek refuge with Allaah from its evil, then it will not harm him.’”

(Narrated by Muslim, 2261) 

3 – It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sees a dream that he dislikes, let him turn over, and spit drily to his left three times and ask Allaah of His goodness, and seek refuge with Him from its evil.”

(Saheeh Sunan Ibn Maajah). 

4 – It was narrated from Jaabir that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sees a dream that he dislikes, let him spit drily to his left three times and seek refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan three times, and turn over onto his other side.”

(Narrated by Muslim, 2262). 

5 – The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us the difference between good dreams and bad dreams. It was narrated from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri that he heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “If any one of you sees a dream that he likes, it is from Allaah, so let him praise Allaah for it and tell people about it. But if he sees something other than that, that he dislikes, it is from the Shaytaan, so let him seek refuge with Allaah from its evil and not mention it to anyone, for it will not harm him.” 

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 7045).  

So it is clear that good dreams come from Allaah and bad dreams which a person dislikes come from the Shaytaan, so he has to seek refuge with Allaah from their evil. 

6 – It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sees something that he dislikes, let him get up and pray, and not tell people about it.”

(Narrated by Muslim, 2263). 

7 – It was narrated from Jaabir that a Bedouin came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, “I dreamt that my head was cut off and I was chasing it.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) rebuked him and said: “Do not tell anyone how the Shaytaan is messing about with you in your dreams.” 

(Narrated by Muslim, 2268) 

So we may sum up from these ahaadeeth the most important points about what a person should do if he sees a dream that he dislikes, as follows: 

1-     He should know that this dream is from the Shaytaan who wants to cause him grief, so he should annoy the Shaytaan by not paying any attention to him.

2-     He should seek refuge with Allaah from the accursed Shaytaan.

3-     He should seek refuge with Allaah from the evil of this dream.

4-     He should spit drily to his left three times, i.e., blowing with a little bit of saliva.

5-     He should not tell anyone about it.

6-     He should turn over from the side on which he was sleeping, so if he was lying on his left side he should turn over to his right side, and vice versa.

7-     He should get up and pray. 

If a person adheres to this etiquette, then we hope that this bad dream will not harm him, as it says in the texts. And Allaah knows best.

It is not possible to see the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) (in a dream) in anything but his true form
Is it possible to see the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in dreams in several forms, i.e., for one person to see him in one form and for another to see him in another form?.

It should be noted that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever sees me in a dream has indeed seen me, for the Shaytaan cannot imitate me.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6994; Muslim, 2266 – this version narrated by Muslim. 

In their commentary on this hadeeth, the scholars said that this is to be understood as referring to seeing the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the physical form that is described in the saheeh ahaadeeth, for the Shaytaan cannot imitate the form of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). 

But if the Shaytaan comes in another form, whether one is asleep or awake, then lies and says, “I am the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him),” then this is false and does not count as seeing the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). 

So you should know the physical attributes of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Please see question no. 1512. These attributes have been mentioned in many ahaadeeth which describe his stature, his hands, his forearms, his mouth and teeth, his eyes and his hair – (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). 

There were many people who resembled the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Those who most resembled him were al-Hasan ibn ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him), and ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ja’far ibn Abi Taalib. So if you see the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the form that is narrated in the Sunnah, then you have truly seen him, but if you see him in a form that is other than that described in the Sunnah and the Seerah – such as if you see him clean-shaven, or missing a hand or foot – then there are two scholarly points of view in this case: 

1 – That this is indicative of a person’s shortcoming in religious commitment 

2 – The view that Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah thought more likely to be correct, which is that this is a false image that comes from the Shaytaan, especially if one sees it whilst awake. That is definitely a false image, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is alive in al-Barzakh and no one can see him whilst he is awake and he cannot visit anyone or speak to him. 

What some people claim, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to them when they were awake, and spoke to them and told them about things, this undoubtedly comes from the shayaateen (devils) and the jinn, especially since that did not happen to the greatest Sahaabah such as Abu Bakr, ‘Umar, ‘Uthmaan, ‘Ali, al-Zubayr, Talhah, ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Awf, Sa’eed ibn Zayd, Abu ‘Ubaydah and Sa’d, or the people who had been present at Badr or had given their bay’ah (oath of allegiance) beneath the tree, and other great and Allaah-fearing Sahaabah. If anyone claims that he saw the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whilst he was awake, then undoubtedly the one who appeared to him was a devil or a jinn, and no ruling can be established from that. Something worse than that happened to Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qaadir al-Jilaani (may Allaah have mercy on him), when he saw someone sitting on a throne between heaven and earth, saying, “I am your Lord.” He said: “Be gone, enemy of Allaah, for you are Iblees.” He said: “How do you know that I am Iblees?” He said: “Because Allaah cannot be seen in this world until we die, and because you said, ‘I am your Lord’ but you did not dare to say, ‘I am Allaah.’” So visions of this sort come from the Shaytaan. We should not be deceived by the stories that are narrated by some people who are thought to be righteous, such as stories about seeing the Prophets and sitting with them. We may believe that they sat with them but with whom were they sitting? They sat with the jinn and devils so that that may cause fitnah (tribulation). But those whom Allaah protects by their following the Qur’aan and Sunnah and reciting dhikrs, Aayat al-Kursiy, al-Mi’wadhaat (the soorahs seeking refuge with Allaah) and seeking the help of Allaah, will be protected against that in sha Allaah, as happened with the awliya’ (close friends of Allaah) and those who fear Him – as was narrated by Shaykh al-Islam in his valuable book: al-Furqaan bayna Awliya’ al-Rahmaan wa Awliya’ al-Shaytaan

There remains another issue to which we must refer, which is that if a person sees the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the form described in the saheeh Sunnah, this is glad tidings, telling him that he will also see him when he is awake. If he tells him of some shar’i matter that seems to go against the apparent meaning of the Qur’aan and Sunnah, should he follow what he has been told or follow the apparent meaning of the Qur’aan and Sunnah? Or if he tells him about some matter concerning which there has to be proof – such as the people being shown the new moon when they did not see it, and he says that tomorrow is Ramadaan – should he follow that or not? Or if he tells him that So and so stole something from So and so, or that in the case of a dispute So and so is in the right – should he bear witness to that? 

The scholars have stated that if a person sees the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he tells him something that goes against the apparent meaning of the Qur’aan or Sunnah, or tells him of some matter concerning which there has to be proof, he should not act upon it, because what one sees in a dream is not binding; what is binding is the facts that one learns when awake. You should note that the dreams of the Prophets are wahy (revelation), but seeing the Prophets in a dream is not wahy – according to scholarly consensus. Rather it is bushra (glad tidings), as was explained by al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him).

He claims that he circumambulates the Ka’bah in his dreams and tells them about the future
I got to know a person who told me that in his dreams a Muslim jinn comes to him and he says that he performed tawaaf with him in Makkah and gave him Zamzam water to drink, and he visited the grave of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with him. He says that this all happened on the same night, and until now he says that he performs tawaaf with him in Makkah and visits the grave of the Prophet. This man told me some things about the future and some of them came true. My brother is enchanted by this man and believes everything that he says. I do not have enough knowledge of sharee’ah to be able to prove this man’s claims to be false. How can I get rid of him and convince my brother that this man is a liar?.

Firstly: 

There is nothing wrong or strange about this man saying that he dreamt that a Muslim jinn performed tawaaf with him in Makkah and visited the grave of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). A man may see such things in his dreams, or greater things, such as seeing himself in Paradise or going up into the heaven then coming down, and other things that cannot happen in reality. 

This applies if he is telling the truth about his dreams, but some charlatans tell lies and deceive people with their false dreams. 

Secondly: 

The fact that he speaks about the future indicates that he is one of the fortune-tellers or soothsayers, who deal with the jinn and find out some matters of the unseen from them, as is mentioned in the hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari (4701) and Muslim (2228) from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him), that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Allaah decrees a matter in heaven, the angels beat their wings in submission to His words, making a sound like a chain striking a rock. When the fear is banished from their hearts, they say, What is it that your Lord has said? They say: The truth, and He is the Most High, the Most Great. Then the one who is listening out hears that, and those who are listening out are standing one above the other” – Sufyaan [one of the narrators] demonstrated with his hand, holding it vertically with the fingers outspread. – “Perhaps the meteor will hit the listener before he can pass it on to his companion, and burn him, or perhaps it will not hit him until he passes it on to the one who is below him, until they pass it down to earth – or perhaps Sufyaan said: until it reaches the earth – and is put in the mouth of the witch and he tells one hundred lies along with it. So he is believed and they say: Did he not tell us that on such and such a day, such and such would happen, and it came to pass? That is the word that was heard from heaven. So they believe him because of one thing which was heard from heaven.”  

And al-Bukhaari (7561) and Muslim (2228) narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: Some people asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about soothsayers. He said: “They are nothing.” They said: O Messenger of Allaah, sometimes they tell us something that turns out to be true. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “That is a word from the jinn that the jinni snatches, and he cackles it into the ear of his familiar as a hen cackles, but they mix more than a hundred lies with it.” 

If this man claims to have knowledge of the unseen then he is a kaafir, so beware of going to him, because going to such people and believing them is haraam, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to a fortune-teller and asks him about something, his prayer will not be accepted for forty nights.” Narrated by Muslim (2230). 

This applies if he goes to him and asks him something and does not believe him. But if he believes him, then the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to a soothsayer or fortune-teller and believes what he says, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).” Narrated by Ahmad (9532) and al-Haakim (15); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’

Thus it is clear that it is haraam to go to fortune-tellers and believe what they say. 

Advise your brother and explain that to him, and warn him against keeping company with this man or believing him. 

We ask Allaah to protect us and you from all evils and temptations. 

And Allaah knows best.

She saw in a dream that she was with the one whom she loves, but her parents are refusing
One of my friend is in love with a guy for last 4 or 5 years. She did Istikhara for 6 or 7 months ago to find out wether she would get marry to him or not. The same night she saw the following dream: 
"She saw that she was walking with her lover in a garden full of thick trees. Thick trees were full of flowers and there branches were hanging down. They were walking on a path that was full of Grass." She suddenly woke up and was very scared. She saw this dream almost around 3 or 4 Am in the morning.  
Though the above dream shows that they will get marry and there would be no problem for them but nothing's happened. But now her parents are not agree to marry her with him and they have also denied the Rishta two or three weeks ago. I want to ask you what exactly does this dream mean. Did she saw this dream because of istikhara or it was just because of thinking about that person whom she loves.

Firstly: 

I advise this sister to read about the Islamic ruling on love between a man and woman outside of marriage 1114 , 20949

Secondly: 

Dreams fall into three categories: 

1-     Those which come from Allaah. These are a means by which Allaah gives glad tidings to His believing slaves in this world after the cessation of Revelation.

2-     Those which come from the Shaytaan, in which the Shaytaan tries to gain power over the sons of Adam and cause distress to those who believe. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has taught us how to protect ourselves from his evil, and he has told us that these dreams do not cause any harm to the believer who observes the etiquette taught by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). 25768

3-     Dreams that come from the subconscious, in which the sleeper sees his own thoughts and ideas that reflect what is happening in his day-to-day life, as mentioned in this question. 

It seems that this sister is in love with this man and wants to marry him, but her parents are refusing this marriage. So in her dream she sees herself with her beloved as she would like to see him in real life. 

Finally, I advise the sister to fear Allaah and to obey her parents in what is right and proper. She should strive to choose a husband who is suited to her from among those who are righteous and trustworthy.  

Similarly, she should ask Allaah to bless her with a righteous husband who will make her happy, and may Allaah bless them with righteous children who will be a help to them in this world and will store up reward for them in the Hereafter. 

And Allaah knows best. 

Dr Khaalid ibn ‘Awad Bazaid
Psychologist specializing in children and adolescents.

Is seeing Allaah is a dream possible?
Is seeing Allaah is a dream possible or not?.

Seeing Allaah in this world is definitely not possible. The evidence for that is the fact that Moosa, who was one of the greatest Messengers and one of the five Messengers of strong will said: “ ‘O my Lord! Show me (Yourself), that I may look upon You’” Allaah said to him: “ ‘You cannot see Me, but look upon the mountain; if it stands still in its place then you shall see Me.’ So when his Lord appeared to the mountain, He made it collapse to dust.” So the mountain crumbled before Moosa as he was looking on, and “Moosa (Moses) fell down unconscious” So he lost consciousness, because he was watching something that he could not bear. “Then when he recovered his senses he said: ‘Glory be to You, I turn to You in repentance and I am the first of the believers.’” [Quotations from al-A’raaf 7:143 – interpretation of the meaning]. So he repented to Allaah for having asked this question, because it was asking for something that was not possible, and Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“Invoke your Lord with humility and in secret. He likes not the aggressors”

[al-A’raaf 7:55] 

Seeing Allaah in this world when one is awake is something that is not possible. Even the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) on the night of the Mi’raaj (ascent into heaven) did not see his Lord. He was asked ‘Did you see your Lord?’ He said, “I saw Light.” According to another report: “Light – how could I see Him?” i.e., between me and Him there was a great veil of light. According to a hadeeth in al-Saheeh, it is narrated that Allaah is veiled in Light. That appears in the hadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “His veil is Light and if He were to remove it, the glory of His Countenance would burn everything of His creation, as far as His gaze reaches.” Because His sight reaches everything, and everything would be burned by this immense Light. Based on this, we say that it is not possible to see Allaah in this world when one is awake. 

As for dreams, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw his Lord in a dream, but is it possible for anyone else to see Him? It is narrated that Imam Ahmad (may Allaah have mercy on him) saw his Lord, and some of the scholars said that this is possible. And Allaah knows best. But I am afraid to open the door to Sufi shaykhs and others who will start saying, “I saw my Lord last night and we chatted and talked together,” then he will come up with myths and lies for which there is no basis. I think it is better to keep this door closed from the outset. 

Liqaa’aat al-Baab il-Maftooh, 3/418.

Lies about a dream falsely attributed to the Watchman of the Prophet’s tomb
I recieved this email and was wondering how much truth is behind it. I would be grateful if you could clarify this matter. Shukran. May Allah bless you. This is a letter from Saudi Arabia and addressed to all the muslims. These are the words of Sheikh AHMED, the WATCHMAN of the Prophet MOHAMMED's MOSQUE(PBUH).
On Friday night after reciting the HOLY QURAN, SHEIK AHMED slept and saw the HOLY Prophet(PBUH) in his dream.
The Prophet (PBUH) said to him " Sheik Ahmed, this Friday about six thousand (6,000) people Died but none of them went to heaven.
The women do not follow what their husbands tell them anymore.
The believers who have money do not help the poor. people do not perform their pilgrimage as it has been prescribed. The Muslims do not say their prayers regularly, let alone how it is supposed to be. Sheik Ahmed, tell the Muslims that this letter comes from you. They are to produce more copies of this letter and give to other Muslims so that it can be spread and get to all the Muslims in this world.
Anyone who produces this and spreads it to other Muslims will see it indeed (Will see the REWARD). The Prophet (PBUH) will count a person to Paradise along with his children. The Muslims who receives this letter and refuses to disperse it among other Muslims will not see benediction (INSHALLAH).
Those who are indebted must write. Allah in his ! infinite mercies will send help to pay his debt."
I, Sheik AHMED, if what I said is a lie, may be Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) not send his divine benediction to me. Dear Muslim brothers and sisters, you must follow the religion the way Prophet (PBUH) honored it, like the divine revelation it is. Ask for forgiveness, fast every Monday.
Produce 20 copies of this letter and spread it to all Muslims Anyone who does the until all Muslims get a copy, will INSHALLAH, see the opening of the Prophet (PBUH) success will follow. He will see the things he had never seen before. This is not a letter to be kept. It must be dispersed in quantities.
A man called Klavern, got this letter and gave it to his secretary to produce 20 copies and dispersed them. After some days, he saw more doors of opportunities opening up for him.
Another person named Abdul-Salam got it and forgot it in the drawer of his office and after a certain time he lost his job. He later remembered the letter and went and produced 20 copies which were distributed and within (5) days he got employed and is in a higher position than what he had before.
Another man called Balemanthan received it and he thought it was something useless and treated it without respect or courtesy.
He tore the letter and within none (9) days he died.
I am appealing to anyone who comes across this letter to kindly circulate it in large volume.
HANKS.. MAY ALLAH BLESS YOU.".

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: 

We have heard of this false letter many times for many years; it spreads among the people from time to time and has become widespread among the common folk. Its wording varies, but the writer says that he has seen the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a dream and he gave him this message to pass on… This fabricator makes many claims in his letter that are obvious lies and blatantly false. I have drawn attention to it in the past, and have explained to people that it is obviously false. When I looked at this latest version I hesitated to write about it, because it is obviously false and because the fabricator has the great audacity to tell such lies. I did not think that its falseness would trick anyone who has the least insight or common sense. 

But many brothers have told me that this letter has deceived many people, and they have circulated it amongst themselves, and some of them have believed it. Because of that I thought that people like me should write about it, so as explain that it is false and that it is a fabrication against the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), so that no one will be deceived by it. Anyone with knowledge and faith, or a sound nature and common sense who studies this letter will realize that it is a lie and a fabrication in many ways. 

I asked one of the relatives of Shaykh Ahmad to whom this lie is attributed about this letter, and he told me that it is falsely attributed to Shaykh Ahmad, and he never said this at all. The Shaykh Ahmad mentioned here died a while ago. Even if we assume that this Shaykh Ahmad or someone greater than him claimed to have seen the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a dream or whilst awake, and he gave him this advice, we would know for certain that he was lying, or that the one who said that to him was the Shaytaan, and not the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), for many reasons, including the following: 

The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would not say anything but that which is the truth, either during his life or after his death. This letter clearly goes against his sharee’ah in many ways – as we shall see below. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) may be seen in a dream, and the one who sees him in his true form has indeed seen him, because the Shaytaan cannot appear in his form, as it says in the saheeh hadeeth. But it all depends on the faith, sincerity, good character, accuracy, religious commitment and trustworthiness of the one who claims to have seen him, and whether he saw the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in his true form or in some other form. If there is a hadeeth that was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) who supposedly said it during his lifetime, but it is not transmitted by trustworthy men of good character, it cannot be accepted or used as evidence; or it is transmitted by trustworthy and accurate narrators, but it goes against a report narrated by stronger narrators and cannot possibly be reconciled with that more accurate and more trustworthy report, then one of them is abrogated and cannot be followed, and the second one abrogates it and is to be followed wherever possible and when its conditions are met. If that is not possible and they cannot be reconciled, then the report which is less reliable should be rejected. The ruling in this case is that it is odd (shaadhdh) and should not be followed. So how about a letter whose author, who supposedly narrated it from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), is unknown and it is not known whether he is trustworthy or not? In this case it should be rejected and no attention should be paid to it, even if it contains nothing that goes against sharee’ah, so how about if the letter contains many things that indicate that it is false and that it is falsely attributed to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and it includes rulings [?] that Allaah has not permitted? The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever attributes words to me that I did not say, let him take his place in Hell.” End quote. 

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan wrote an article about this letter, warning against it, which was published in al-Da’wah magazine, issue no. 1082, in which he said: 

This fabricated letter is old. It appeared in Egypt more than eighty years ago, and the scholars refuted it and ruled it to be false, and they pointed out the lies and falsehoods it contains. One of the scholars was Shaykh Muhammad Rasheed Rida, who said in his refutation of this letter: 

We answered this question in 1322 AH, and we remember that we have seen something like this letter many times from when we were learning how to read and write until now. All of them are attributed to a man called Shaykh Ahmad, the Watchman of the Prophet’s Tomb. The letter is definitely false, and no one who has had the faintest whiff of knowledge and religion would dispute that. Rather it is only the simple-minded among the illiterate masses who believe it. 

Then he refuted it at length, refuting each fabrication contained in the letter. Moreover this letter has been warmly accepted by some of the ignorant, and they started to print it and distribute it, because they were influenced by the promises and warnings contained therein, because this immoral person who composed it said that whoever makes x number of copies and distributes it will get what he wants, and if he is a sinner Allaah will forgive him, and if he is employed he will be promoted, and if he is in debt his debt will be paid off, and whoever disbelieves it will be humiliated and such and such bad consequences will come to him. When some of the ignorant read this, they are affected by it and they go ahead and distribute it out of fear and greed. 

The scholars have stated that this letter is false and they have warned people against distributing it and believing in it. These scholars include Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, who refuted it in an excellent article and pointed out the lies and deception that it contains. This letter is false for a number of reasons: 

Firstly:

the rulings of Islam, the promises and warnings, and information about what the future holds are all matters that can only be proven through revelation from Allaah to His Messenger. Revelation came to an end when the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) died, after Allaah had perfected the religion through him. We have inherited the Qur’aan and Sunnah which are sufficient to guide us. As for dreams and visions, they do not prove anything, because most of them are the fabrications of the devils, aimed at leading people astray from their religion. The fabricators of this letter promise those who believe in it that they will enter Paradise and that their needs will be met and they will be relieved of distress, and they warn those who disbelieve in it that they will go to Hell and be humiliated. This is prescribing a new religion and telling lies against Allaah – we seek refuge with Allaah from that. 

Secondly:

The fabricator of this letter makes it greater than the Qur’aan, because one who copies the Qur’aan and sends it from one country to another will not get the reward which this liar says the one who distributes this letter will get; and the one who does not copy the Qur’aan and send it from one country to another will not be denied the intercession of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) if he is a believer – so how can the believer be denied intercession if he does not copy this letter and send it from one country to another as this fabricator says? 

Thirdly:

This letter makes a claim to have knowledge of the unseen, as it says in it: “this Friday about six thousand (6,000) people Died but none of them went to heaven”. This is a claim to have knowledge of the unseen which no one knows except Allaah, for He is the One Who knows how many people die in Islam and how many die in kufr. Whoever claims to have knowledge of the unseen is a kaafir who disbelieves in Allaah. 

Fourthly:

Reward and punishment in this world and in the Hereafter can only be proven by a text from the Book of Allaah or the Sunnah of His Messenger. This fabricator says that those who believe in this letter will be rewarded and those who disbelieve in it and do not distribute it will be punished. Allaah has proven it to be a lie – praise be to Allaah – because many Muslims have disbelieved in it and believed it to be a forgery, and nothing but good has happened to them, whilst those who believed in it and distributed it have been met with nothing but disappointment and loss. 

Moreover this fabricator wants to make the masses and the ignorant believe in this letter, so he swears an oath by Allaah repeatedly, that he is sincere and that his letter is true, and that if he is lying, may he exit this world following a religion other than Islam. He wants to make a show of loving Islam and hating sin and evil, so that people will think well of him and believe him. 

This is part of his evil scheming, and indeed of his stupidity and ignorance. Swearing and making repeated oaths does not indicate that everyone who does so is sincere. Many liars swear oaths in order to deceive the people. Iblees swore to our parents [Adam and Hawwa – peace be upon them],  

“Verily, I am one of the sincere well-wishers for you both”

[ al-A’raaf 7:21 – interpretation of the meaning].  

And Allaah said to His Prophet (interpretation of the meaning):  

“And (O Muhammad) obey you not everyone Hallaaf Maheen (the one who swears much and is a liar or is worthless)”

[al-Qalam 68:10].  

Allaah tells us that the hypocrites swear when telling lies, and they do that knowingly, as He says of them (interpretation of the meaning): 

“they will indeed swear that their intention is nothing but good. Allaah bears witness that they are certainly liars”

[al-Tawbah 9:107] 

Does this ignorant fool think that if he fabricates lies against Allaah and His Messenger in this letter and swears at the end of it, that the Muslims will believe him and accept his words? No way! As for his making a show of feeling proud of Islam and being pained by evil deeds, this is a kind of statement which is aimed at making people think well of him and accept what he says, but he does not realize that the accursed Pharaoh made a show of being sincere and kind to his people when he said, preventing them from following Moosa (peace be upon him), 

“I fear that he may change your religion, or that he may cause mischief to appear in the land”

[Ghaafir 40:26 – interpretation of the meaning] 

Not everyone who appears to be offering advice and to be proud of Islam is sincere. The warnings against evil and sin that are narrated in the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and their descriptions of the resulting punishments are sufficient for those who have faith. 

Perhaps someone may ask, what is the goal of the author of this letter? What is the motive that made him fabricate it and distribute it? 

The answer is that his goal is to mislead people away from the Book of their Lord and the Sunnah of their Prophet, and towards myths and false stories. If they believe him in this and it becomes widely accepted among them, then he will invent more and more for them, so that they will be distracted by that from the Qur’aan and Sunnah, then it will be easy to introduce more false ideas to them and change their beliefs. For so long as the Muslims adhere to the Book of their Lord and the Sunnah of their Prophet, those who seek to misguide them will never be able to divert them away from their religion, but if they forsake the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and believe in myths and stories and devilish dreams, it will be easy for any misleader and heretic to lead them astray. There may be secret kaafir organizations behind this, who are working to distribute these fabrications in order to lead the Muslims astray from their religion. This is indicated by the fact that this myth has been around for a century, and it is unlikely that its inventor is still alive. So if there were not someone working to distribute it after his death, it would not have appeared. So beware, O Muslims, of believing in these fabrications. Do not distribute them amongst yourselves, and ask the scholars about anything that you do not understand. 

The enemies of Allaah and His Messenger among the kaafirs, hypocrites and devils of the jinn and mankind are always trying to lead people astray from the true religion and make them follow false religions; to lead them astray from the path that leads to Paradise and make them follow the path that leads to Hell, from following the Messengers to following the devils and those who lead people astray. So they used to distort the laws of the Prophets and alter the Books that were revealed to the Messengers, as they did with the Tawraat (Torah) and Injeel (Gospel). When Allaah sent the Seal of the Prophets – Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – and revealed to him the Holy Qur’aan and the straight path, He guaranteed to preserve the Qur’aan and protect it from being changed and altered. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“Verily, We, it is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e. the Qur’aan) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption)”

[al-Hijr 15:9] 

“Falsehood cannot come to it from before it or behind it, (it is) sent down by the All‑Wise, Worthy of all praise

[Fussilat 41:42] 

And He protected the Sunnah of His Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) from the lies of the liars by means of the keen efforts of the trustworthy scholars who preserved it and transmitted it, and eliminated the fabrications of the liars who tried to interfere with it. So they set out guidelines and principles by means of which the saheeh (sound) hadeeths could be distinguished from false hadeeths, and they compiled the saheeh hadeeths and protected them, and they listed the false hadeeths and fought them and warned people against them. Because the enemies of Allaah and His Messenger were unable to introduce false ideas into the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger, they resorted to attempting to divert the people away from the Qur’aan and Sunnah and distract them with false stories and alleged dreams, filled with false promises and warnings which may tempt and deceive those who are weak in faith and ignorant, and lead many of them into shirk and heresy and innovation in the name of religion, worship and asceticism, following these myths. 

The way of these deviants is not based on the Qur’aan and Sunnah, rather it is based on false stories and so-called dreams. So they go astray from true guidance and forsake the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger, and pay heed to the whispers of the Shaytaan. This is the recompense of the one who turns away from the Qur’aan and Sunnah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“And whosoever turns away blindly from the remembrance of the Most Gracious (Allaah) (i.e. this Qur’aan and worship of Allaah), We appoint for him Shaytaan (Satan ‑ devil) to be a Qareen (a companion) to him.

And verily, they (Satans / devils) hinder them from the path (of Allaah), but they think that they are guided aright!”

[al-Zukhruf 43:36] 

So fear Allaah, O slaves of Allaah, and adhere to the Book of your Lord and the Sunnah of your Prophet, and beware of false ideas propagated by the enemies of Islam. 

May Allaah help us all to adhere to the Qur’aan and Sunnah. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon His family and companions.

Seeing Allaah in a dream
What is the ruling on one who claims to have seen the Lord of Glory in a dream? Is it true, as some say, that Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal saw the Lord of Glory in a dream more that one hundred times?.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah and others said that it is possible for a person to see his Lord in a dream, but what they see is not how He really is, because there is nothing like unto Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“There is nothing like Him, and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer”

[al-Shoora 42:11] 

So nothing in His creation resembles Him, but a person may see in his dream that his Lord is speaking to him, but whatever images he sees is not Allaah because there is nothing like unto Allaah, so there is nothing that resembles Him. 

Shaykh Taqiy al-Deen said concerning this that it may vary according to the situation of the person who sees it. The more righteous and good the person is, the closer his dream will be to what is true and correct, but Allaah is different from whatever he sees, because the basic principle is that there is nothing like unto Allaah. 

He may hear a voice that says such and such or do such and such, without seeing any image that resembles any created being, because there is nothing like unto Allaah. It was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw his Lord in a dream. It was narrated from Mu’aadh (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw his Lord, and it was narrated via a number of isnaads that he saw his Lord, and that Allaah put His hand between the Prophet’s shoulders so that he felt its coolness on his chest. Al-Haafiz ibn Rajab wrote an essay on that which he entitled Ikhtiyaar al-Awla fi Sharh Hadeeth Ikhtisaam al-Mala’ al-A’laa. This indicates that the Prophets saw their Lord in their dreams. But as for seeing the Lord in this world with their eyes, that did not happen. 

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that no one will see his Lord until he dies. This was narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh. When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked whether he had seen his Lord, he said: “I saw Light.” This was narrated by Muslim from Abu Dharr (may Allaah be pleased with him).  

‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) was asked about that and she said that no one will see Him in this world, because seeing Allaah in Paradise is the greatest blessing for the Muslims, so that will happen only to the people of Paradise and the believers in the Hereafter, and to the believers in the place of standing on the Day of Resurrection. This world is the abode of trial and testing, the place shared by both good and evil people, so it is not the place for seeing Allaah, for seeing Him is the greatest blessing, so Allaah has saved it for His believing slaves in the abode of honour on the Day of Resurrection.  

With regard to seeing Allaah in a dream as  many people claim to have done, that varies according to the situation of the one who saw that – as Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah – may Allaah have mercy on him) said – how righteous and pious the person is. Some people may imagine that they have seen Allaah when that is not the case, for the Shaytaan may appear to them and make them think that he is their Lord, as it was narrated that he appeared to ‘Abd al-Qaadir al-Jeelaani on a throne above the water, and said, “I am your lord and I have relieved you of obligations.” Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qaadir said: “Shut up, O enemy of Allaah, you are not my Lord, because the commands of my Lord can never be lifted from those who are accountable.” Or words to that effect.  The point is that seeing Allaah when awake cannot happen to anyone in this world, not even the Prophets (peace be upon them), as stated above in the hadeeth of Abu Dharr. This is also indicated by the words of Allaah to Moosa (peace be upon him) when he asked his Lord to let him see Him. He said to him (interpretation of the meaning): 

“You cannot see Me”

[al-A’raaf 7:143] 

But the Prophets and some of the righteous may see Him in a dream in a manner that does not resemble any of His creation, as stated above in the hadeeth of Mu’aadh (may Allaah be pleased with him). But if there is a command to do something that goes against sharee’ah, this is a sign that he has not seen his Lord, rather he has seen a devil. If he sees that he is telling him, Do not pray for you have been relieved of obligations, or you do not have to pay zakaah, or you do not have to fast Ramadaan, or you do not have to honour parents, or he says it does not matter if you consume riba (usury, interest) – all such things are signs that he has seen a devil and has not seen his Lord. With regard to the reports of Imam Ahmad seeing his Lord, I do not know if they are sound or not. It was said that he saw his Lord but I do not know if that is true. 

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li’l-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 6/367.

Can a sleeper be aware that he is dreaming?
What can you say about dreams.if somebody is dreaming and at the sametime he realize that is dreaming while still sleeping.

A sleeper cannot be aware of himself or know that he is dreaming, because sleep is akin to death and sleep is referred to as mawt (“death”) in the Qur’aan and Sunnah. 

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“It is Allaah Who takes away the souls at the time of their death, and those that die not during their sleep. He keeps those (souls) for which He has ordained death and sends the rest for a term appointed. Verily, in this are signs for a people who think deeply”

[al-Zumar 39:42] 

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said: 

Here Allaah explains that the taking away of souls is of two types: 

He takes them away at the time of death, and He takes away the souls that did not die in their sleep. Then when they sleep, he keeps the soul of the one who dies in his sleep and He sends back the soul of the one who did not die in his sleep. Hence when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went to bed, he would say, “Bismika Rabbiy wada’tu janbi wa bika arfa’uhu fa in amsakta nafsi farhamha wa in arsaltaha fahfazha bima tahfazu bihi ‘ibaadaka al-saaliheen (In Your name my Lord I lie down and in Your name I rise, so if You should take my soul then have mercy upon it, and if you should return it then protect it in the manner You protect Your righteous slaves).” 

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 4/275 

“It is He, Who takes your souls by night (when you are asleep), and has knowledge of all that you have done by day, then He raises (wakes) you up again that a term appointed (your life period) be fulfilled, then (in the end) unto Him will be your return. Then He will inform you of that which you used to do”

[al-An’aam 6:60] 

It was narrated that Hudhayfah ibn al-Yamaan said: When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went to bed, he would say: “Bismika amoot wa ahyaa (in Your name I live and die)” and when he got up he would say: “Al-hamdu Lillaah alladhi ahyaana ba’da ma amaatana wa ilayh il-nushoor (Praise be to Allaah Who has given us life after taking it from us and unto Him is the resurrection).” 

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5953 

This was also narrated by Muslim from the hadeeth of al-Bara’ ibn ‘Aazib (may Allaah be pleased with him). 

Al-Nawawi said: 

What is meant by amaatana (taking [life] away from us) is sleep. Al-nushoor (the resurrection) refers to the resurrection on the Day of Resurrection. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) pointed out that waking up after sleep which is like death is an affirmation of the resurrection after death. The scholars said: The wisdom behind saying the du’aa’ when wanting to sleep is so that a person’s final deed will be this du’aa’, and the wisdom behind saying the du’aa’ when waking up is so that the first of his actions will be remembrance of Tawheed and good words.  

Sharh Muslim, 17/35 

Based on this, it is not possible for a sleeper to know that he is dreaming, because when he is asleep he is not aware in the way that he is when he is awake, so the rulings that apply when he is awake do not apply to him when he is asleep. Hence the sleeper is excused for not doing obligatory duties as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever forgets a prayer or sleeps and misses it, his expiation is to offer the prayer as soon as he remembers.” 

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 572; Muslim, 684 

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said: 

Abu Ishaaq al-Zajjaaj said: Sleep is called mawt (“death”) because when a person is asleep he does not think and move, which is similar to the case of death. He said this in al-Nihaayah

Fath al-Baari, 11/14 

And Allaah knows best.

He wants to see the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a dream
What is the best way to see Prophet Muhammad in a dream??.

There is no way prescribed in sharee’ah for the one who wants to see the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a dream. It is appropriate here to comment on a number of matters that have to do with this question: 

1 – The one who sees the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a dream has to see him in his true form, at any stage of his life. So if a person claims to have seen light or a man with a completely white beard or a man wearing pants for example, these are not attributes of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), so this is not the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Shaytaan cannot appear in the true image of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but he can appear in other forms. 

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: I heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, “Whoever sees me in a dream will see me when he is awake, and the Shaytaan cannot take my shape.” Al-Bukhaari said: Ibn Sireen said: If he sees him in his true image. 

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6592; Muslim, 2266 

If a man told Ibn Sireen that he had seen the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) [in a dream], he would say, “Describe to me the one whom you saw.” If he gave a description that he did not recognize, he would say, “You did not see him.” Its isnaad is saheeh. 

Al-Haakim narrated via ‘Aasim ibn Kulayb (who said), my father told me: I said to Ibn ‘Abbaas, “I saw the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a dream.” He said, “Describe him to me.” He said, “I mentioned al-Hasan ibn ‘Ali and said that he looked like him.” He said, “You did indeed see him.” Its isnaad is jayyid. 

See Fath al-Baari, 12/383, 384. 

2 – The Muslim should not concern himself with dreams and visions, basing his affairs on them and forgetting about the state of wakefulness in which Allaah has enjoined rulings and acts of worship on him. 

3 – The Muslim who is following the Sunnah sees the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in his heart; the more he follows him the more he will see him. So when he goes out of his house or goes to the mosque or does wudoo’, he remembers what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do. When he prays or performs Hajj he follows his Sunnah. When he buys and sells or interacts with people, he acts according to the teachings of his Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). When he is at home with his family and children he follows the teachings of his Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). 

This is what the Muslim should seek and strive to achieve. 

And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Seeing the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a dream
Once I saw Muhammad(SAW) in my dream. But he was like a young guy or young children. Of course his(SAW) appearence did not match with what I read about him(SAW).
But, I think (Hope) that it was HE(SAW). Because I asked him(SAW):' Are you indeed(really) Muhammad(SAW)?' He(SAW) said:'YES'. Who, except him(SAW) himself, can say that?
In the second time, there was a voice like in old times, when somebody is coming to the castle of the king.This voice said: 'Muhammad(SAW)!' And very handsome men, at the age between 40-45 came and just show me a piece of paper. And that was it.
How can I know, that in both dreams it was he(SAW)?.

Firstly: 

It should be noted that it is possible for a person to see the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a dream, and that the Shaytaan cannot appear in the image of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but he could appear in another form and claim that he is the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). 

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: I heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Whoever sees me in a dream will see me when he is awake; the Shaytaan cannot take my shape.” 

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6592; Muslim, 2266). 

According to a report narrated by Ahmad (3400): The Shaytaan cannot resemble me.” 

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said: 

We have narrated it with a complete isnaad from Ismaa’eel ibn Ishaaq al-Qaadi from Sulaymaan ibn Harb – who was one of the shaykhs of al-Bukhaari – from Hammaad ibn Zayd from Ayyoob who said: If a man told Muhammad (meaning Ibn Sireen) that he had seen the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) [in a dream], he would say, “Describe to me the one whom you saw.” If he gave a description that he did not recognize, he would say, “You did not see him.” Its isnaad is saheeh, and I have found another report which corroborates it. Al-Haakim narrated via ‘Aasim ibn Kulayb (who said), my father told me: I said to Ibn ‘Abbaas, “I saw the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a dream.” He said, “Describe him to me.” He said, “I mentioned al-Hasan ibn ‘Ali and said that he looked like him.” He said, “You did indeed see him.” Its isnaad is jayyid. 

Fath al-Baari, 12/383, 384. 

With regard to those who say that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) may appear in all forms [in dreams], quoting as evidence the report narrated by Ibn Abi ‘Aasim from Abu Hurayrah, that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever sees me in a dream has indeed seen me, for I may be shown in all forms” – this hadeeth is da’eef (weak). 

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said: 

Its isnaad includes Saalih the freed slave of al-Taw’amah, who is da’eef (weak) who became confused (in old age), and this is a report from someone who heard it after he became confused. 

Fath al-Baari, 12/384. 

Secondly: 

What is mentioned in the question about having seen the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) as a young man or a child is possible, but it is also subject to the conditions mentioned above, which is that he should look as he would have looked at that age. 

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said:  

The phrase “[the Shaytaan] cannot” indicates that although Allaah gave him the ability to appear in any form he wants, He does not allow him to appear in the form of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). This was the opinion of a group who said concerning the hadeeth: What this refers to is when a person sees him as he really looked. 

Some of them restricted it even further and said: He must see him as he looked when he died, so he must even take into consideration the number of his white hairs which was no more than twenty. 

The correct view is that he may be seen at any age or in any condition, so long as he appears as he really looked at any time, whether as a youth, in the prime of manhood, in old age or any other time of his life. 

Fath al-Baari, 12/386. 

Thirdly: 

Once this is understood, it is possible for the Shaytaan to come to a person in his sleep and claim to be the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), if he comes in a form other than the way in which Allaah formed him at all stages of his life. 

The fact that there was a voice like in old times, or very handsome men, or someone who said “Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)” has nothing to do with seeing the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in his true form. 

And Allaah knows best.

She sees disturbing dreams, and she imagined having intercourse in her sleep
In my dreams i have people chasing me, sometimes its members of my family, sometimes people i dont know.it may sound wierd but its true. in such dreams i tend to fly up into the sky 2 escape from them and have been successful in doing so.does this mean Allah takes my soul and makes it actually fly.and also recently i had a dream in which an unknown man was having intercourse with me.i was shocked 2 have such a dream, did Allah take my soul then or was it another trick by shataan.

These and similar unpleasant dreams come from the Shaytaan. What is prescribed for the Muslim, if he sees a dream that he dislikes, is to spit drily to his left three times and to seek refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan and from the evil of what he has seen, three times, and he should turn over onto his other side. Then it (his dream) will not harm him. And he should not tell anyone about it, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The good dream comes from Allaah and the bad dream comes from the Shaytaan. So if any one of you sees a bad dream which frightens him, let him spit drily to his left and seek refuge with Allaah from its evil, then it will not harm him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, Bad’ al-Khalq, 3049). 

If a woman sees in a dream that someone is having intercourse with her, this is something natural, for women may experience erotic dreams just as men do. An erotic dream (or “wet dream”) is when one imagines doing sexual acts in one’s dream. It was narrated in a hadeeth that Umm Salamah said: “Umm Sulaym came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, Allaah is not too shy to tell us the truth. Does a woman have to do ghusl if she experiences an erotic dream?’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘(Yes), if she sees some wetness.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-‘Ilm, 127). Shaykh al-Bassaam said that the word ihtamalat (translated here as “she sees an erotic dream”) refers to whatever a sleeper may see in his dreams, and what it means here is if a woman sees in her dream what men see of images of intercourse and the like. If a woman sees such things in her dream, then if something comes out of her as a result of that dream, she has to do ghusl.  But if she simply sees a dream and nothing comes out of her, then she does not have to do ghusl, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “If she sees some wetness.”

And Allaah knows best.

See Tawdeeh al-Ahkaam, 1/297

He dreams about a dead relative chasing him
I had a relative who did not like me when I was alive. He hated me and used to beat me. He has passed away, but recently I have been having disturbing dreams, where I see him chasing me and my young daughter, but I run away from him and he cannot catch me. I hope you can suggest something to put my mind at rest.

These dreams and other unpleasant dreams come from the Shaytaan. What is prescribed for the Muslim if he sees a dream that he does not like is to spit drily to his left three times, and to seek refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan and from the evil of what he has seen (three times), then to turn over onto his other side. Then the dream will not harm him. He should not tell anyone about it, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, according to a saheeh hadeeth, “Good dreams come from Allaah and bad dreams come from the Shaytaan. If anyone of you sees something that he dislikes in a dream, let him spit drily to his left three times, and seek refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan and from the evil of what he has seen three times, then let him turn over onto his other side. Then it will not harm him. He should not tell anyone of what he has seen. But if he sees (a dream) that he likes, let him praise Allaah and tell others whom he loves about it.”

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz, vol. 8, p. 359

Dreams and dream interpretation
dream interpretation in islaam..i've got a book by ibn-sirine... i want more details about it..

1. True dreams are a part of Prophethood, as it was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “True dreams are one of the forty-six parts of Prophethood.” (al-Bukhaari, 6472; Muslim, 4201)

2. Dreams marked the onset of Revelation (al-Bukhaari, 3; Muslim, 231).

3. The truthfulness of the dream is related to the sincerity of the dreamer. Those who have the most truthful dreams are those who are the most truthful in speech. (Muslim, 4200)

4. Towards the end of time, hardly any dreams will be untrue. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “That will be because the Prophethood and its effects will be so far away in time, so the believers will be given some compensation in the form of dreams which will bring them some good news or will help them to be patient and steadfast in their faith.” (al-Bukhaari, 6499; Muslim, 4200)

5. The same may be said of the miracles which appeared after the time of the Sahaabah. This did not happen during their time because they did not need them, due to their strong faith, but the people who came after them needed them (the miracles) because their faith was weak.

6. Dreams are of three types: rahmaani (those that come from Allaah), nafsaani (psychological, they come from within a person) and shaytaani (those that come from the Shaytaan). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Dreams are of three types: a dream from Allaah, a dream which causes distress and which comes from the Shaytaan, and a dream which comes from what a person thinks about when he is awake, and he sees it when he is asleep.” (al-Bukhaari, 6499; Muslim, 4200)

7. The dreams of the Prophets are wahy (revelation) for they are protected from the Shaytaan. The Ummah is agreed upon this. This is why Ibraaheem set out to fulfil the command of Allaah to sacrifice his son Ismaa’eel when he saw that in a dream; may peace be upon them both.

8. The dreams of people other than the Prophets are to be examined in the light of the clear Wahy [i.e., the Qur’aan and Sunnah]. If they are in accordance with the Qur’aan and Sunnah, all well and good; otherwise, they should not be acted upon. This is a very serious matter indeed, for many of the innovators among the Sufis and others have gone astray because of this.

9. Whoever wants to have true dreams should strive to speak honestly, eat halaal food, adhere to the commandments of sharee’ah, avoid that which Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) have forbidden, sleep in a state of complete purity facing the Qiblah, and remember Allaah until he feels his eyelids drooping. If he does all this, then his dreams can hardly be untrue.

10. The most truthful of dreams are those that are seen at the time of suhoor [just before dawn], for this is the time when Allaah descends and when mercy and forgiveness are close. It is also the time when the devils are quiet, unlike the time of darkness just after sunset, when the devils and devilish souls spread out.

11. (See Madaarij al-Saalikeen, 1/50-52)

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said:

12. All dreams are either of two types:

1. true dreams. These are the dreams of the Prophets and of the righteous people who follow them. They may also happen to other people, but this is very rare, such as the dream of the kaafir king which was interpreted for him by Yoosuf (peace be upon him). True dreams are those which come true in real life as they were seen in the dream.

2. Mixed up false dreams, which warn of something. These are of different types:

1. games of the Shaytaan to make a person distressed, such as when he sees his head cut off and he is following it, or he sees himself falling into a crisis and cannot find anyone to save him from it, and so on.

2. When he sees some of the angels telling him to do something forbidden, or other things that cannot possibly make sense.

3. When he sees something that happens to him in real life, or he wishes it would happen, and he sees it very realistically in his dream; or he see what usually happens to him when he is awake or what reflects his mood. These dreams usually speak of the future or the present, rarely of the past.

See: Fath al-Baari, 12/352-354

1. Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sees a dream that he likes, this is from Allaah, so let him praise Allaah for it and talk about it to others. If he sees other than that, a dream that he dislikes, this is from the Shaytaan, so let him seek refuge with Allaah from its evil and not mention it to anyone, for it will not harm him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6584, and Muslim, 5862).

2. Abu Qutaadah said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Good dreams come from Allaah, and (bad) dreams come from Shaytaan. Whoever sees something that he dislikes, let him spit to his left three times and seek refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan, for it will not harm him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6594, and Muslim, 5862). The “spitting” referred to here is a soft, dry spitting with no saliva ejected.

3. It was reported from Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sees a dream that he dislikes, let him spit to his left three times, and seek refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan three times, and turn over from the side on which he was sleeping.” (Narrated by Muslim, 5864)

Ibn Hajar said: to sum up what has been said about good dreams, we may say three things:

1. A person should praise Allaah for the good dream

2. He should feel happy about it

3. He should talk about it to those whom he loves but not to those whom he dislikes.

To sum up what has been said about bad dreams, we may say four things:

1. He should seek refuge with Allaah from the evil of the dream

2. He should seek refuge with Allaah from the evil of the Shaytaan

3. He should spit to his left three times when he wakes up

4. He should not mention it to anyone at all.

5. In al-Bukhaari, Baab al-Qayd fi’l-Manaam, a fifth thing was narrated from Abu Hurayrah, which is to pray. The wording of the report is: whoever sees something he dislikes (in a dream) should not tell anyone about it; rather he should get up and pray. This was reported as a Mawsool report by Imaam Muslim in his Saheeh.

6. Muslim added a sixth thing, which is to turn over from the side on which one was lying.

In conclusion, there are six things to do, the four mentioned above, plus praying two rak’ahs, for example, and turning over from the side on which one was lying to lie on one’s back, for example.

See Fath al-Baari, 12/370.

1. According to a hadeeth narrated from Abu Razeen by al-Tirmidhi, he should not tell anybody about it except a very close friend who loves him very much, or who is very wise. According to another report, he should not talk about it except to one who is wise or one who is dear to him. According to another report, he should not tell of his dream except to a scholar or one who will give sincere advice. Al-Qaadi Abu Bakr ibn al-‘Arabi said: as for the scholar, he will interpret it in a good way for him as much as he can, and the one who will give him sincere advice will teach him something that will be of benefit to him and will help him to do that. The one who is wise is the one who knows how to interpret it and will tell him only that which will help him, otherwise he will keep quiet. The one who is dear, if he knows something good he will say it, and if he does not know or he is in doubt, he will keep quiet.

2. See Fath al-Baari, 12/369

Imaam al-Baghawi said:

3. Know that the interpretation of dreams falls into various categories. Dreams may be interpreted in the light of the Qur’aan or in the light of the Sunnah, or by means of the proverbs that are current among people, or by names and metaphors, or in terms of opposites. (Sharh al-Sunnah, 12/220)

4. He gave examples of this, such as:

Interpretation in the light of the Qur’aan: such as a rope meaning a covenant, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And hold fast, all of you together, to the Rope of Allaah…” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:103]

Interpretation in the light of the Sunnah: such as the crow representing an immoral man (faasiq), because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) called it such.

Interpretation by means of proverbs: such a digging a hole meaning a plot, because people say “Whoever digs a hole will fall in it.”

Interpretation by means of names: such as seeing a man called Raashid meaning wisdom.

Interpretation by means of opposites: such as fear meaning safety, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And He will surely give them in exchange a safe security after their fear” [al-Noor 24:55]

5. As for the book “Interpretation of Dreams” that is attributed to Ibn Seereen, many researchers doubt that it can be attributed to him at all, so we should be certain that this book was written by this prominent scholar.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

The physical characteristics of the Prophet(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and seeing him in a dream
Assalamu Alaikum. I was recently reading a description of the physical characteristics of the Holy Prophet . I formed a picture in my mind. Then I saw in a dream, a man who looked like the picture formed in my mind. I do not clearly remember what he said, but I am afraid he might have said that some Muslim brothers who I love very much will see a dream with me in it. I committed a sin in their house before, and before this dream, I was always worrying that they might find out through a dream. How do I know for sure if I saw the Holy Prophet in this dream. This is worrying me very much. Also, I just saw a dream, where I thought it was the Holy Prophet again, during his last recitation of the Quran to Jibreel (AS) during Ramadan. Zaid (RA) was there, too, but also Hamzah (RA) was there in my dream. I know that Hamzah(RA) wasn't really there, because he was martyred at Uhud. So was this the Holy Prophet in this dream? How can we know for sure? Please answer as quickly as possibly. I Email is quicker, please do that. If posting it is quicker

We will quote below a number of ahaadeeth which describe the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). If what you in your dream is in accordance with this, then you did indeed see the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), because he said: "Whoever sees me in a dream has really seen me, because Shaytaan cannot appear in my image." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 5729).

Rabee'ah ibn Abi 'Abd al-Rahmaan said: "I heard Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) describing the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). He said: 'He was of average height, not too tall and not too short, with a pinkish colour, not very white and not dark, and his hair was neither very curly nor very straight. The Revelation came to him when he was forty years old, and he stayed in Makkah for ten years after the Revelation came, then in Madeenah for ten years. When he died, there were no more than twenty white hairs on his head and in his beard." (al-Bukhaari, 3283).

Al-Baraa' ibn 'Aazib said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was broad shouldered and had thick hair coming down to his shoulders and earlobes. He was wearing red garments. I have never seen anything more beautiful than him." (Reported by Muslim, Kitaab al-Fadaa'il, Baab Sifat Sha'r al-Nabi (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), no. 2338).

'Ali said: "He was neither tall nor short, and had large hands and feet. He had a large head and was big-boned, and the thin line of hair (starting from his chest and extending to the navel) was long. When he walked, he would lean forward, as if he was walking downhill. I have never seen anyone like him, before or since." (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 3570, who said this is a saheeh hasan hadeeth).

Jaabir ibn Samurah said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was dalee' al-fam, ashkal al-'ayn and manhoos al-'aqib." Shu'bah said: "I asked Maalik, 'What is dalee' al-fam?' He said: 'Wide-mouthed.' I asked, 'What is ashkal al-'ayn?' He said, 'Big-eyed.' I asked, 'What is manhoos al-'aqib?' He said, 'His heels were not fleshy.'" (Saheeh Muslim, Kitaab al-Fadaa'il, 2339).

As for the sin which you committed in the house of your brothers, repent to Allaah for this. If you took something that belongs to them, then give it back. And Allaah is All-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
Rulings of Dreams