Search Options:

Search In:

10122: Her husband has left Islam; is she entitled to maintenance during the ‘iddah period?

I got married to a person who had been a Christian, then he claimed to be a Muslim and started to pray. I lived with him for a while, then he left Islam and stopped praying. I had the marriage declared null and void, and I have started my ‘iddah. Am I entitled to maintenance from him during the ‘iddah?

Published Date: 2001-02-21

Yes, you are entitled to maintenance during the ‘iddah, because the separation happened because of the husband, since he left Islam. Imaam al-Shaafa'i (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Kitaab al-Umm (vol. 6), “If he – i.e., the husband – becomes an apostate (leaves Islam), he should still spend on her (maintenance) – i.e., the wife – during her ‘iddah, because she is not finally divorced until the ‘iddah is over.”

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid