Search Options:

Search In:

146485: He works in a paint shop and directs customers to a painter in return for a percentage

I work in a paint shop and my salary is low, but people come to me and ask about a painter to paint for them. I have the numbers of some painters and I try to recommend them to the customers in return for a percentage that the painter gives to me. Is this percentage haraam?.

Published Date: 2011-03-23

There is nothing wrong with telling the customers about painters in return for money that you take from the painter whenever a customer comes to him through you, whether that payment is a set amount or a percentage. This is what is called a broker’s or agent’s fee. It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (13/131): It is permissible for the agent to accept a fee of a known percentage of the final agreed price of the product in return for telling the customer about it, and he may take it [that fee] from the buyer or the seller, according to the agreement, without any being unfair or causing any harm.

End quote.