Praise be to Allaah;
You have answered your own question, as it were, because it is Allaah who gave His Book this
Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
- "The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Quraan . . ." [al-Baqarah 2:185]
- "Do they not then consider the Quraan carefully . . .?" [al-Nisaa 4:82]
- "So, when the Quraan is recited, listen to it, and be silent that you may receive mercy .
. ." [al-A raaf 7:204]
- "Verily, Allaah has purchased of the believers their lives and their properties; for the
price that their shall be Paradise. They fight in Allaahs Cause, so they kill (others)
and are killed. It is a promise in truth which is binding on Him in the Tawraat (Torah)
and the Injeel (Gospel) and the Quraan . . ." [al-Tawbah 9:111]
- "And this Quraan is not such as could ever be produced by other than Alaah, but it is
a confirmation of (the revelation) which was before it, and a full explanation of the
Book wherein there is no doubt from the Lord of the Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all
that exists)" [Yunus 10:37]
- "Verily, We have sent it down as an Arabic Quraan in order that you might
understand" [Yusuf 12:2]
- "We relate unto you [Muhammad] the best of stories through Our Revelations unto you,
of this Quraan. And before this, you were among those who knew nothing about it (the
Quraan)." [Yusuf 12:3]
- "And indeed, We have bestowed upon you seven of al-Mathaani (the seven repeatedly
recited verses, i.e. Soorat al-Faatihah) and the Grand Quraan." [al-Hijr 15:87]
- "So when you want to recite the Quraan, seek refuge with Allaah from Shaytaan, the
outcast (the cursed one)." [al-Nahl 16:98]
- "Verily, this Quraan guides to that which is most just . . ." [al-Israa 17:9]
- "And We send down from the Quraan that which is a healing and a mercy to those
who believe, and it increases the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) nothing but loss." [al-Israa
- "Say: If mankind and the jinns were together to produce the like of this Quraan, they
could not produce the like thereof, even if they helped one another." [al-Israa 17:88]
- "And (it is) a Quraan which We have divided )into parts), in order that you might
recite it to men at intervals. And We have revealed it by stages." [al-Israa 17:106]
- "We have not sent down the Quraan unto you [O Muhammad] to cause you distress"
- "Then High above all be Allaah, the True King. And be not in haste (O Muhammad)
with the Quraan before its revelation is completed to you, and say: My Lord! Increase
me in knowledge." [Ta-Ha 20:114]
- "Ta-Seen [These letters are one of the miracles of the Quraan, and none but Allaah
(Alone) knows their meanings]. These are the Verses of the Quraan, and (it is) a Book
(that makes things) clear" [al-Naml 27:1]
- "And verily, you (O Muhammad) are receiving the Quraan from the One, All-Wise,
All-Knowing." [al-Naml 27:6]
- "Verily, He Who has given you (O Muhammad) the Quraan will surely bring you back
to the Maaad (place of return, either to Makkah or to Pradise after your death) . . ."
- "By the Quraan, full of wisdom" [Yaa-Seen 36:2]
- "And indeed, We have made the Quraan easy to understand and remember, then is
there any that will remember (or receive admonition)?" [al-Qamar 54:40]
- "That (this) is indeed an honourable recital (the Noble Quraan)." [al-Waaqiah 56:77]
- "Had We sent down this Quraan on a mountain, you would surely have seen it
humbling itself and rending asunder by the fear of Allah . . ." [al-Hashr 59:21]
- "or a little more; and recite the Quraan (aloud) in a slow, (pleasant tone and) style."
- "Nay! This is a Glorious Quraan" [al-Burooj 85:21]
Can there be any doubt after reading all these aayaat that it is Allaah - and not Abu Bakr (may
Allaah be pleased with him) or anyone else - Who has given the name "Quraan" to the Book
which He revealed to Muhammad
(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)?
In Arabic, the word "Quran" comes from the word meaning al-qar, which means "gathering"
and "putting things together." It is so called because it is a collection of all the siwar (plural of
surah). It was also suggested that it is so called because it combines the fruits of the
previously-revealed books, or because it combines all kinds of knowledge.
(See al-Itqaan by al-Suyooti, 1/162-163).
Finally, we advise you to check what you read so that you do not get confused by unreliable
sources in books and magazines that may cause you to doubt the truth. May Allaah bless you
and us with beneficial knowledge and help us to perform righteous deeds.