Thursday 18 Ramadan 1440 - 23 May 2019
English

Does thumb-sucking affect the fast?

Question

Assalamu alaikum
I have an awkward problem, that is I still suck my thumb since I was a child!, it can be quiete extreme when I am not feeling too well. I am in doubt if this is Haram at all, and does it nullify my fast? I heard a friend say anything that enters the body nullifies the fast. Plse answer my question a.s.a.p. because Ramadan is beginning soon and it is extremely embarassing for me to talk to anyone about it, not even my husband!.
Jazakum allah alf Khair

Answer

Wa ‘alaykum al-salaam wa rahmat-Allaahi wa barakaatuhu.

You have to try hard to give up this habit, and take your thumb out of your mouth every time you realize that you are sucking your thumb. Whatever happens because of forgetfulness will not affect your fast. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has forgiven my ummah for what they do by mistake or out of forgetfulness, and what they are forced to do.”

Source: Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Send feedback