Thursday 12 Rabi‘ al-awwal 1442 - 29 October 2020
English

Is it permissible to do more than two Rak’ahs after doing wudoo’?

Question

Is it permissible for us to pray more than two rak’ahs after doing wudoo’, as narrated in the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said that the Messenger of Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said to Bilaal, “O Bilaal, tell me which is the deed in Islam in which you put most of your hope, for I have heard the sound of your sandals in front of me in Paradise.” Bilaal said, “I do not do any deed in which I place more hope than this: I do not purify myself at any time of night or day, but I then pray as much as Allaah decrees I should pray.” (Agreed upon)?

Answer

Praise be to Allah.

The Sunnah is to pray two Rak’ahs after making wudoo’, because of the hadeeth of Bilaal mentioned in the question, and other reports. But it is permissible for a person to pray as many naafil prayers as he wishes in addition to the two rak’ahs, except at times when naafil prayers are not allowed.

And Allaah is the source of strength. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

Was this answer helpful?

Source: Al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah Li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Iftaa’, 7/276