Thu 24 Jm2 1435 - 24 April 2014
1174

Curing Insinuating Whispers in Purification

I am a young married woman and I have been suffering from the problem of waswaas(insinuating thoughts from Shaytaan) for quite some time. This waswaas distracts me when I do wudoo’ (ablution), to the extent that I cannot continue properly. It takes me an hour and a half each time I do wudoo’, because I think that I have not completed it. It is the same with ghusl for janaabah (impurity following marital relations) – it takes me hours, and I think that I have not cleaned myself or become pure (taahir). I have been in the hospital for nervous diseases. What do you advise me to do?

Continue with your treatment in the hospital for psychological diseases and with the doctors, and may Allaah grant you healing. Seek the help of Allaah and ask Him to cure you of your illness. Recite Aayat al-Kursi when you lie down to sleep. Say: “Bismillaah illadhi laa yadurru ma’a ismihi shay’un fi’l-ardi wa laa fi’s-samaa’ wa huwa as-Samee’ al-‘Aleem (In the Name of Allaah, with (the mention of) Whose Name nothing on earth or in heaven can do any harm, and He is the All-Hearing, All-Knowing)” three times in the morning and three times in the evening. Treat yourself with ruqya (incantations) by reciting Soorat al-Ikhlaas and al-Mi’wadhatayn [the last two soorahs of the Qur’an] three times, blowing into your hands each time and wiping your hands over as much of your body as you can, before you go to sleep, because of the hadeeth (narration) narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh and by other scholars of hadeeth, from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her). She said: “When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went to bed each night, he would put his hands together and blow in between them and recite in between them [interpretations of the meanings]: Qul huwa Allaahu ahad (Say: He is Allaah, (the) One), Qul a’oodhu bi Rabbi’l-Falaq (Say: I seek refuge with (Allaah) the Lord of the daybreak) and Qul a’oodhu bi Rabbi’n-naas (Say: I seek refuge with (Allaah) the Lord of mankind) [i.e., the last three soorahs of the Qur’an], then he would wipe with his hands whatever he could of his body, starting with his head and face, and the front part of his body, doing that three times.” Pray to Allaah to rid you of what you are suffering from, and say: “Adh-hib al-ba’s Rabb an-naas washfi anta’sh-Shaafee laa shifaa’a illa shifaa’uka shifaa’an la yughaadir saqaman (Remove the suffering, Lord of mankind, and heal me, for You are the Healer. There is no healing except Your healing, the healing which does not leave any illness behind)”, repeating that three times. Also recite the du’aa’ (supplication) for one in distress: “La ilaaha ill-Allaah ul-‘Azeem ul-Haleem, la ilaaha ill-Allaah Rabb il-‘arsh il-‘azeem, la ilaaha ill-Allaah Rabb us-samawaati wa Rabb ul-ardi wa Rabb ul-‘arsh il-kareem (There is no god but Allaah, the Almighty, the Patient. There is no god but Allaah, Lord of the magnificent Throne. There is no god but Allaah, Lord of the heavens, Lord of the earth, and Lord of the noble Throne).” When you have finished your wudoo’ or ghusl/bath (for the end of menstruation or for janaabah (impurity following marital relations)), then assume that you are now clean and pure, and ignore the waswaas. Do not stay for too long in the bathroom because this is from Shaytaan. In this way the waswaas will stop, with the permission of Allaah.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/223