Thursday 7 Rabi‘ al-awwal 1440 - 15 November 2018
English

his hair cut after the first ten days of Dhu’l-Hijjah began

Question

I had my hair cut after the month of Dhu’l-Hijjah began, when I had already intended to offer a sacrifice (udhiyah). Do I have to offer kafaarah (expiation)?.

Answer

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: 

Whoever wants to offer a sacrifice should not remove anything from his hair, nails or skin once Dhu’l-Hijjah begins, until after he has offered his sacrifice, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade that. It was narrated from Umm Salamah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the first ten days (of Dhu’l-Hijjah) have begun, if any one of you wants to offer a sacrifice, he should not touch (i.e., remove anything from) his hair or skin.” Narrated by Muslim… But whoever removes something from his hair, nails or skin during the first ten days of Dhu’l-Hijjah out of forgetfulness or ignorance of the ruling, when he has resolved to offer a sacrifice, does not have to do anything, because Allaah has forgiven His slaves for mistakes and forgetfulness in this and similar matters. But whoever does that deliberately has to repent to Allaah, but he does not have to do anything (i.e., he does not have to offer a fidyah or kafaarah – expiation).

Source: Fataawa Islamiyyah, 2/316

Send feedback