Sunday 19 Thu al-Qa‘dah 1440 - 21 July 2019
English

Are there any du’aa’s to help one get a good wife or husband?

Question

I would like to know if there are any certain du'as or solah that could be done in order to get a future wife or husband.What are the things that one should look out for in order to know that the person is an accurate choice? Can one get answers by letting the Qur'an to be his guidance?

Answer

There is not as far as we know any duaa specifically for this matter that has been reported from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but you can pray to Allaah to bless you with a righteous spouse.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught us Duaa al-Istikhaarah, which means asking Allaah to choose for us that which is best for our religious and worldly interests in all matters, religious and worldly. This duaa was narrated by Jaabir ibn Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to teach us to seek guidance (istikhaarah) in all our affairs, just as he would teach us a Soorah from the Quraan. He said: Whenever any one of you is concerned about a matter, let him pray two rakahs of non-obligatory prayer, then let him say: Allaahumma inni astakheeruka bi ilmik, wa astaqdiruka bi qudratik, wa asaluka min fadlik il-azeem. Fa innaka taqdiru wa laa aqdir, wa talamu wa laa alam, wa anta allaamul-ghuyoob. Allaahumma in kunta talam anna [haadhal-amr] khayrun li fi deenee wa maaashi wa aaqibati amri, faqdurhu li, wa yassirhu li, thumma baarik li fih. Wa in kunta talam anna [hadhal-amr] sharrun li fi deenee wa maaashi wa aaqibati amri, fasrifhu anni wasrifni anhu waqdur li al-khayr haythu kaan. Thumma ardeeni bih (O Allaah, I seek Your guidance (in making a choice) by virtue of Your knowledge, and I seek ability by virtue of Your power, and I ask You of Your great bounty. You have power, I have none. And You know, I know not. You are the Knower of hidden things. O Allaah! If in Your knowledge, (this matter [ and he should mention it here]) is good for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs, immediate and in the distant future, ordain it for me, make it easy for me and bless it for me. And if in Your knowledge (this matter [ and he should mention it here]) is bad for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs, immediate and in the distant future, then turn it away from me, and turn me away from it, and ordain for me the good wherever it may be, and make me pleased with it).

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1109).

There is nothing which it is more important for both parties to focus on than religious commitment and attitude.

With regard to the husband, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) advised the guardians (walis) of women:

If there comes to you one whose attitude and commitment to religion pleases you, then marry him (to your female relative), for if you do not do that, there will be much trouble and corruption in the land.

(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1084; Ibn Maajah, 1967)

With regard to the wife, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave the following advice:

Women are married for four things: wealth, lineage, beauty and religious commitment. Marry the one who is religious, may your hands be rubbed with dust! (i.e., may you prosper).

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4802; Muslim, 1466).

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said: the meaning is that what is appropriate for the man who is religious and chivalrous is that religion must be the ultimate focus in all things, and especially with regard to the choice of a lifelong companion. So the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded him to seek a religious woman, since religion is his ultimate goal.

(Fath al-Bari, 9/135).

With regard to the second part of your question, about letting the Quraan be your guidance:

If you mean using it for divination, like astrology, this is haraam. One of the innovated ways in which people do this is to open the Mus-haf at random, and if their gaze falls on an aayah which speaks of mercy or reward, they think this means that what they want to do is good! And if they see an aayah which speaks of punishment, they think that what they want to do is bad. There is no basis for this in the religion; this is one of the ways in which the shayaateen (devils) misguide the believing slaves of Allaah.

But if what you mean by letting the Quraan be your guidance is following it and acting in accordance with its rulings, this is the way to achieve true happiness, and there is no happiness apart from through this, which is adherence to the Quraan and Sunnah. This is the only way for mankind to be guided and saved by Allaah on the Day of Resurrection. Concerning this Allaah says (interpretation of the meanings):

This is the Book (the Quraan), whereof there is no doubt, a guidance to those who are Al-Muttaqoon [the pious] [al-Baqarah 2:2]

Verily, this Quraan guides to that which is most just and right [al-Israa 17:9]

And Allaah knows best.

Source: Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Send feedback