Friday 17 Jumada al-ula 1445 - 1 December 2023

When he has a question about some matter of religion, who should he ask?


When I have a question about some religious matter, such as prayer, fasting, Hajj, dealings with others or divorce, is it sufficient to take the opinion of one of the Muslim scholars who are known to be knowledgeable, righteous and pious, and are qualified to issue fatwas, such as one of the Council of Major Scholars, or someone who has equivalent knowledge, and follow his response to my question? Or can I submit my question to a number of scholars and choose whichever answer suits me?


Praise be to Allah.

If you have a question about any matter of religion, you must ask the people of knowledge, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So ask the people of the Reminder if you do not know” [al-Anbiyaa’ 21:7]

  If you are given a fatwa by someone whose knowledge and taqwaa you trust, then you have to adhere to that fatwa. It is not permissible for a person to ask a number of scholars so that he can choose the easiest fatwa or whatever suits his desires or opinion.

Was this answer helpful?

Source: Al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 12/307