Sunday 22 Sha‘ban 1445 - 3 March 2024

She is not comfortable with the idea of taking assistance from a non-Muslim government for her husband’s parents


Publication : 25-07-2011

Views : 12145


My question is: the government gives my father- and mother-in-law some money for their maintenance, and I am their caregiver. I am very confused. Is this money halaal according to Islam? I do not feel comfortable taking this money. If you take care of your parents can you take money for that? We are not very well off financially and my husband says that the money will help us. Can you please solve this problem because I am uncertain and am very confused. Can you answer my question as quickly as possible?
I hope that you will not show my name on your website. I am waiting for your answer.


Praise be to Allah.

There is nothing wrong with taking assistance given by the government, whether it is Muslim or non-Muslim, to citizens, residents or refugees in its country, so long as the conditions for receiving this assistance are met by those who are taking it. 

The one who takes this money is taking it lawfully, because the citizens and residents in a country have rights over its government. 

Based on that, what the state is giving to your husband’s parents is halaal money – in sha Allah – and there is no reason to feel anxious as to whether it is permissible to take this money to help you in taking care of them and looking after them. 

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) said: 

There is nothing wrong with accepting assistance from the non-Muslim state if that will not result in failing to do an obligatory duty or doing something that is forbidden. They do not have the right to take assistance except in the official manner stipulated by the state, and they do not have the right to tell lies in order to get it. 

End quote from Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 28/239 

And Allah knows best.

Was this answer helpful?

Source: Islam Q&A