Praise be to Allah.
Types of tawaf
There are many types of tawaf around the Ka’bah:
- Tawaf al-ifadah during Hajj, which is also called tawaf al-ziyarah (tawaf of visiting). It takes place after the standing in ‘Arafah, on the day of al-Adha or after it. It is one of the pillars or essential parts of the Hajj.
- Tawaf al-qudum (tawaf of arrival) for Hajj. This is done by the pilgrim who has entered ihram for Hajj and by the pilgrim who is doing Qiran, i.e., joining ‘Umrah and Hajj, when he reaches the Ka’bah. It is one of the obligatory duties or Sunnahs of Hajj – there is a difference of scholarly opinion.
- The tawaf of ‘Umrah . It is one of the pillars or essential parts of ‘Umrah, which is not valid without it.
- Tawaf al-wada’ (the farewell tawaf ), which is done after completing the actions of Hajj and when one has decided to leave Makkah al-Mukarramah. It is obligatory, according to the more correct of the two scholarly opinions, for all pilgrims except women who are menstruating or bleeding following childbirth, and the one who fails to do it must sacrifice an animal of the type that is valid as an udhiyah.
- Tawaf in fulfillment of a vow made by one who vowed to circumambulate the Ka’bah. It is obligatory because of the vow.
- Voluntary tawaf.
Each of these tawafs must include seven circuits , after which the person offers two rak’ahs behind Maqam Ibrahim, if possible; if he cannot do that then he may offer the prayer in any other part of the mosque.
And Allah is the Source of strength. May Allah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and Companions.” (Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas. Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Aziz ibn ‘Abd-Allah ibn Baz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaq ‘Afifi, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allah ibn Ghadyan)
And Allah knows best.